If you're looking for a way to keep your little one safe while they sleep, a toddler bed rail is a great option. But with so many different types and brands on the market, how do you choose the right one?
What should a good toddler bed have?
To choose a nice bed for your toddler, here are some things to keep in mind:
- The bed should be the right size for your toddler. It should be big enough for them to move around and stretch out, but not so big that they feel lost in it.
- The bed should be comfortable. Your toddler will be spending a lot of time in their bed, so make sure it's something they'll enjoy spending time in.
- The bed should be safe. Look for a bed with a sturdy frame and mattress that meets all safety standards.
- The bed should be easy to assemble and disassemble. You'll likely need to do this a few times as your toddler grows, so make sure it's something you can easily handle.
With these things in mind, let's take a look at some of the best toddler beds on the market.
How do I stop my toddler from rolling out of a toddler bed?
That is one of the key questions when night comes and you want your toddler to stay in bed. And there are several methods for parents to keep a baby inside the bed.
So, the first method is to place the bed against a wall. This will help to prevent your toddler from rolling out of the bed, as they will only be able to roll so far before hitting the wall. Be sure that the wall is free of any sharp objects or pointed edges that could hurt your toddler if they were to hit it.
Another method is to use a bed rail. Bed rails are devices that attach to the side of the bed and extend up above the mattress. This will create a barrier that your toddler will not be able to roll over or under. There are many different types and styles of bed rails available, so be sure to choose one that is appropriate for your toddler's bed.
You can also use a pillow to create a barrier around the edge of the bed. This is probably the easiest and most affordable option, but it may not be as effective as a bed rail. Simply place a few pillows around the edge of the bed, making sure that they are firmly in place. This will create a soft barrier that your toddler will not be able to roll over or under.
Besides, you can put a big soft toy instead of a pillow for decoration and to make your toddler's bed look cozier. It will also work as a bed rail, but not as firm as the previous two options - and that is something you should consider. The most important thing is to be creative and use your imagination - cause there are many other ways to achieve the same result. And the main thing here is not to leave your toddler unattended on a bed without rails to avoid any accidents.
Finally, you can talk to your toddler about staying in bed. Explain to them why it is important to stay in their bed and how they can stay safe. If they are old enough, you can even make a game out of it by seeing how long they can stay in their bed without getting out.
Why does your toddler need bed rails?
Safety goes first. When you are looking for a toddler bed, the first thing you check is how safe it is. The majority of parents choose a bed with rails to avoid accidents during the night.
The best toddler bed rails have vertical slats that are no more than 3 inches apart. This way, your toddler can not slip their head through and get stuck. The rails should also be high enough so that your toddler can not climb over them and fall out of bed. Lastly, the rails should be made from a sturdy material that can withstand years of use.
Different types of bed rails
There are two main types of toddler bed rails: fixed and removable. Fixed bed rails are permanently attached to the bed frame and can not be removed. This is the most popular type of rail, as it is the most secure. Removable bed rails can be taken off and put back on as needed. This is a good option if you need to use the bed for other purposes, such as when your toddler gets older and no longer needs rails.
What are the best toddler bed rails?
Now that you know what to look for in a toddler bed rail, here are some of the best options on the market:
- The Regalo My Cot Portable Toddler Bed is a great option for parents who want a bed they can take with them on trips. It comes with a travel bag and can be set up in minutes. It also has a removable rail so you can use it as a cot when your toddler no longer needs rails.
- The Summer Infant Sure and Secure Custom Fit Gate is a great option for parents who want a rail that can be used in other areas of the house, such as the stairs or doorway. It's made from durable metal and can be adjusted to fit a variety of widths.
- The Delta Children Side by Side Sleeper is a great option for parents who want two beds in one. It has two removable rails so you can use it as two twin beds or one large bed. It also comes with a storage bag so you can keep the rails safe when not in use.
- Munchkin Safety Toddler Bed Rail has a cute design with dinosaur shapes. It is made of sturdy steel and plastic and can be folded down when not in use. Your baby will feel comfortable with the padded fabric.
- The Cosco Character Baby Bed Rail is perfect for parents who want a fun and functional bed rail. It's made from durable metal and plastic and can be used as a bed rail or a toy box. The peculiarity of this product is that it has characters of various kinds printed on it, such as Hello Kitty, Winnie the Pooh, and Spiderman.
- Safety 1st Portable Bed Rail has a simple design and is easy to use. It's made from durable metal and can be folded down when not in use. It also comes with a travel bag so you can take it with you on trips. Moreover, with this portable bed rail, you can create a safe space for your toddler wherever you go.
- Dream On Me Mesh Security Bed Rail features a mesh design that allows you to see your toddler while they sleep. It's made from sturdy steel and can be placed under the mattress for added security. It's also easy to set up and takedown, making it a great option for parents on the go.
- The Shrunks Shrunks Inflatable Bed Rails for Toddlers is one of the most popular options on the market. It's made from durable PVC and can be inflated in minutes. It also comes with a travel bag so you can take it with you on trips. Moreover, this bedrail can be used on any bed, making it a versatile option.
- Graco Universal Toddler Safety Guardrail would be perfect for parents who are looking for an easy-to-use bed rail. It's made from durable steel and can be attached to any bed. It's also easy to install and uninstall, making it a great option for parents on the go.
- Fisher-price Toddler Bed Rail is a great option for parents who want a bed rail that is both functional and stylish. If you are looking for high quality and durability, this is the bed rail for you. It's made from durable steel and can be attached to any bed. Moreover, it comes in a variety of colors, so you can choose the perfect one for your toddler's room.
As you can see, there are a variety of bed rails to choose from. There is no one "best" rail, so it's important to choose the one that best meets your needs. Consider the type of bed, the size of your toddler, and your budget when making your decision. With so many great options on the market, you're sure to find the perfect bed rail for your toddler.
How high should the toddler bed rail be?
It's critical that the rail height is at least 6.5 inches above the mattress level to avoid your child from suffering a thud that usually comes with a screaming, painful, and unappealing night. That is because the average two-year-old's nose is about 3 inches from the floor, and they sleep with their head on the mattress. The higher the bed rail, the more distance there is between your child's nose and the floor in case they fall out of bed.
Most importantly, make sure that the gap between the mattress and the underside of the bed rail is no larger than 4 inches. A smaller space will make it more difficult for your toddler to wiggle their way out and increase the chances of them being injured if they do manage to escape.
The toddler years are a time of big emotions and even bigger milestones. As your little one starts to explore their independence, it's important to create a safe environment for them to do so. A toddler bed rail can give you peace of mind knowing that your child is safe and sound while they sleep.
How can you make the baby`s bed safer?
As your toddler starts to explore their independence, it's important to create a safe environment for them to do so. A toddler bed rail can give you peace of mind knowing that your child is safe and sound while they sleep.
Besides using bed rails you can also:
- Use edge and corner guards on furniture
- Anchor dressers, bookshelves, and other tall furniture to the wall
- Keep cords and wires out of reach
- Put locks on cabinets and drawers
- Install safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs
- Keep small objects and toys out of reach
Creating a safe environment for your toddler to explore will allow them to grow and develop their independence. With a few simple safety measures, you can rest assured knowing that your little one is safe and sound.
Make your own DIY bed rail
In case you are kinda crafty, you can make your own bed rail for your toddler`s bed. All you need is some wood, screws, and brackets. Step-by-step guide on a simple wooden rail for your toddler:
Step1. Get some wood. You can either use new lumber or repurpose some old furniture. Just make sure the wood is sanded down and smooth.
Step 2. Cut the wood to size. You will need two pieces that are the same length as the side of the bed plus about 10 inches. The width can be whatever you want, but we recommend 3-4 inches.
Step 3. Drill holes in the wood for the screws. Make sure to space them out evenly.
Step 4. Attach the brackets to the bed frame using screws. Make sure they are tight so the rail doesn't move around.
Step 5. Slide the rail into the brackets and screw it in place.
And that's it! Your toddler's bed is now safer with a DIY bed rail. Of course, you can make some modifications like adding padding or a different design. But the basic steps are the same. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!