Does your baby escape from the bed? A baby crib is a bed specifically for infants and young children. Cribs are usually designed so that the child cannot escape or fall out of the crib. Many young parents may wonder 'How to choose a crib for my newborn' especially when there are so many alternatives. In this article, we will help you to select the best crib for your baby.
These beddings can be purchased in most department stores, such as Kmart and Wal-Mart, and also at furniture stores like IKEA and Crate and Barrel. All babies who have reached 9 pounds need to sleep in a crib because it offers them better support than an adult bed. Also, some parents believe that sleeping in a large bed increases the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
How to choose a good crib for my infant?
The baby bedding is a very important part of the nursery. When purchasing a crib, there are many factors to consider, such as size, style, material, and price.
Size is an essential factor to consider when you choose a crib. The average size of a baby crib is 28 inches wide by 52 inches long. However, there are some mini options that are only 24 inches wide and some full-size that are up to 60 inches long. That is because the infant needs enough space during sleep.
It is important to choose a size that will fit in your nursery and that will be comfortable for your baby. If you're concerned about your baby escaping from their crib, consider getting a bed with high sides. You can also get a bed with a low side if you're worried about your baby falling out.
Style is another vital factor to think of when you choose a crib for a newborn. There are many different styles of cribs available, such as traditional, sleigh, convertible, and portable. You should choose a style that will complement the décor of your nursery and that will be comfortable for your baby.
Material is another significant element to contemplate when you buy a crib. The most common materials used to construct a crib are wood, metal, and plastic. You should choose a material that is durable and that will last long. Also consider, that materials should be stable for your child`s safety.
Price is also an important aspect to consider when parents want to choose a baby crib. They can range in price from $100 to over $1000. It is important to find a crib that fits your budget and that will meet your needs.
When you are searching for bedding, it is important to keep all of these factors in mind. Besides, here are some additional tips for you to select the best crib for the baby:
- Make sure that the mattress fits snugly, and if it is adjustable, make sure that it is locked into place.
- The crib should come with necessary safety features such as corner posts and a three-sided barrier.
- Make sure that before you purchase a crib, you know whether or not it will meet the size requirements of your baby's room so that once it is assembled, there will not be any problems.
- Check for firm joints where two connecting surfaces meet by pushing down on them to see if they are sturdy. If they give way then this may indicate a problem with assembly or the stability of the product and could pose a danger for your child if it were to fall apart while in use.
With all these recommendations future parents will definitely choose the perfect crib for their baby!
How much should you spend on a baby's crib?
The price of a crib can range anywhere from $60 to over $1,000. Some things to consider when purchasing a crib are the number of pieces it has and if it has any contraptions that make it easier or safer for the baby.
Types of cribs for infants
- A standard crib is basic, traditional bedding.
Pros are that they are usually well-built and look good. Also, such beddings have a lot of space for children to play and sleep comfortably.
Cons include that they do not convert into a bed, which means that your child will need to get rid of it once he or she gets too big for the crib.
- A See-through (portable) crib allows parents to monitor the baby while the child is in bed.
Pros are that it can be moved anywhere in the house which means that you do not have to get up every time your child needs something.
Cons are that they usually have a very short lifespan, so you need to purchase a new one after about 2-3 years.
- A convertible crib comes with a kit so it can be converted into a toddler bed as soon as the child is ready.
Pros of this crib are that they are easy to use and very little maintenance is required. Safety is also high.
Cons include that they do not look as good as standard cribs, the mattress may be too thin for older children, and converting the crib into a bed may lead to injury if it is done incorrectly.
- Mini cribs are also known as pack 'n play and have been designed for those who have to travel often with their kids.
Pros include that they are lightweight, foldable, and easy to carry around.
Cons include that if you want your child to sleep in it, then the mattress is usually very thin, which may not be sufficient for older children. On top of that, because pack 'n plays do not have wheels or stands, they cannot be used on any surfaces other than the ground such as the floor.
- A travel crib is designed to be collapsible making it easier for individuals who have to travel a lot with their babies.
Pros of this include that it is lightweight and easy to carry around.
Cons include that they may not be of sufficient size for older children, and some parents complain that they are not very comfortable because the mattress is too thin.
- A bassinet is also another type of crib that can be used in the first few months after a baby's birth. A bassinet is usually placed at the side of a parent's bed and once the child gets bigger, they transition into a playpen or standard crib.
Pros of this include that it helps parents keep an eye on their newborns.
Cons include that they are not suitable for children who can roll over or crawl, and not all babies like them because of their small size.
Where do you place a baby's crib?
A baby's crib should be placed somewhere where its parents spend most of their time. The crib should not be placed in a corner or near any other objects that could pose a danger to the child.
The major considerations you should take into account when choosing a baby's crib are whether or not there is enough room for your child to grow into, potential safety issues with the product, the price of the merchandise, and how safe the items seem in terms of design, and choices available on the market. If your room space is limited, you may want to consider a mini crib or even a travel crib. These are smaller than a standard-size crib, but they will still provide enough room for your baby to sleep comfortably.
Additionally, you'll want to make sure that the crib you select is JPMA certified. The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) certification program is the industry's mark of safety assurance. To receive this designation, products must meet or exceed all voluntary safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM International.
Furthermore, when choosing a baby's crib, avoid drop-side rail designs. These have been linked to several infant and toddler deaths over the past few years and have been deemed unsafe by the CPSC.
How long will this bedding be used?
A standard crib is usually used for the first four years of a child's life, but they will probably be used till they are about two due to most children transitioning into a twin or full-sized bed. As your child gets older, they will need a bed that is comfortable and safe for them to sleep in. Thus, consider how long you want the crib to last before making your purchase. Depending on your child`s preferences, you may be able to use the crib as their bed for a few years or even longer.
Accessories for a crib
Mattresses should be firm and fit tightly in the crib. If a mattress is adjustable it must lock into place to ensure the safety of your baby. Use a waterproof mattress pad to avoid accidents in the crib. You can also select a crib rail cover, that makes it look more attractive and covers the slippery parts of the bedding for the baby.
Purchase a crib with a one-piece frame, this type of structure is more stable and safer for your child. Make sure that if there are any wooden parts they are made from solid woods such as Eastern white pine or oak, pine that has knots will expand once exposed to moisture which can cause cracks in the wood. No plywood or chipboard is allowed in the making of the crib because pressure-treated wood contains chemicals that could be harmful to your baby's health.
A fitted sheet should fit snugly on the mattress so that it does not come off during sleep. Choose fabrics for your baby's bedding, clothing, and blankets that are at least 100% cotton because synthetic textiles can irritate sensitive skin.
How can I choose the perfect variant for my child?
- You should start looking for a crib when your child is about 2 months old, but you must take into account the fact that some companies only allow returns and exchanges on items within 90 days of purchase so keep this in mind while shopping around.
- If you want your child to use it until he or she turns two, then you should purchase a larger standard crib rather than a mini crib.
- A standard crib may cost more money but its longevity is what makes them a good investment.
- A mini crib may be a good idea in the case you have a small home or apartment and it will be used in a room where you spend most of your time in.
- Think about how easy it will be to move from place to place with your baby when choosing between standard or convertible cribs - if you are traveling a lot then mini options might be best for you, but also consider that they cannot be used on any surface besides even ground.
- Make sure that there are no protruding parts on the design of the crib because these can harm your child if he/she accidentally gets stuck.
- Cribs with drop sides may seem like a good idea to help you out, but they have been known to cause injury and even death. Safety is the most important part when opting for the newborn`s crib.
- If this is your first baby then it might be best that you purchase a convertible crib or an adjustable crib because these can grow with your child until he/she turns two years old.
Cribs are an important piece of furniture to have in the home for your child because they will be used until your newborn doesn`t escape from the bed. It is best that you take into account all the unique features that each type has so you can choose which one is right for you and your baby.