What should you know before washing a boppy lounger?
A boppy lounger is a cloth slipcovered pillow that has two pockets. Its padding can be removed for easy cleaning. It can be used to prop up an infant during feedings, to support the baby when learning to sit, or it can be placed on the floor as a safe place where the child can play. Many companies also offer other accessories made specifically for the boppy lounger including covers and replacement slipcovers. Here we have prepared some hints and important instructions for you to wash a boppy lounger correctly and use it further.
How can you choose a good boppy lounger for a newborn?
There are lots of Boppy Pillow products out there and here is a list of some considerations when choosing one:
- Different covers. If you plan to use the lounger (and cover) over and over again, consider ones made with higher quality materials that will last throughout washes and baby's development; look for higher thread-count cotton or fabric blends.
A tight weave helps keep the filling inside where it belongs. Covers can be machine washed in cold water and tumble dried on low (can take up to 15 minutes). It is recommended to add a little detergent, then re-shape the boppy lounger back into its original form before placing it in the dryer.
- Materials. When you have a desire to buy it, read the label to make sure it's 100 percent cotton.
- Machine washable pillowcase. This is essential for easy cleaning so that you can pay more time to your newborn!
- Option of removing the cover and machine washing it. Make sure your cover is machine washable too so baby messes don't have to go through the whole dryer ordeal before being cleaned up after.
- Filling. What is inside your boppy lounger is also important. Polyurethane foam beads are easy to clean and hypoallergenic, but they can be expensive compared to other fillings.
How can you make a DIY boppy lounger?
If you plan to use your boppy lounger for more than one newborn and want to save some money, you can make a DIY boppy lounger with the help of this guide.
- Cut two pieces of fabric to the desired size
- Cut two pieces of batting about an inch larger than the cover
- If using quilt binding, cut six 2-inch strips
- Fold each piece of batting in half and place one in each pocket with the fold toward the center of the pillow
- Open up one corner on both pocket flaps and insert a strip of folded quilt binding into that hole (the crease should be against the center pocket). The open ends of the binding strip are on top
- Sew or glue down each flap securely with its corresponding strip inside
- Flip loungers over so the right sides are facing out
- Make sure edges are even and sew pillows together with a 1/4-inch seam
- Insert lounger form (firm, but not too firm) through the open end of the covering fabric
- Sew around all edges with a 3/8-inch seam allowance except for one corner on both sides
- Flip right side out and bind corners per manufacturer's instructions.
Be sure to choose good materials, be smart with machine washing, and your boppy lounger will last for years even after your baby grows up!
Is the boppy pillow machine washable?
Yes, you can wash your boppy pillow in the washing machine. We recommend cleaning it on a delicate cycle with cold water and mild detergent. Once washed, tumble dry your pillow on low or lay it out to air dry. Do not bleach your pillow. The boppy pillow is designed to give your baby support as they learn to sit up on their own. The unique design also allows you to use it as a nursing pillow when you are breastfeeding a newborn. The pillow can be used from birth until your baby weighs around 16 pounds.
And, for sure, it must be machine washable, as everything related to babies must be kept impeccably clean! You'll want to wash it frequently, to make sure any spit-up or drool is removed, and also after your baby has had a diaper blowout.
How should you wash the boppy lounger?
Here we have collected for you boppy lounger washing instructions and useful tips.
In case your boppy lounger can be washed in the washing machine, please follow the steps below.
- Remove the slipcover and place it in the washing machine, using cold water on a gentle cycle for cleaning and tumble dry low (can take up to 15 minutes). ALWAYS remove ALL content from inside pump pocket before placing in washer or dryer.
- If your boppy lounger has plastic parts, do not put it in the washer or dryer. Wash it with a damp cloth and mild soap. Rinse thoroughly. Air dry completely before use.
- Not recommended to clean foam slipcovers by laundering them in the washing machine due to the potential shifting of foam beads that may clog the drain opening of washing machines leading to damage (costly) to both machines and contents. This is especially the case with top-loading machines, which have an agitator in the middle that can become clogged.
If your boppy lounger cannot be washed in the machine, follow these steps.
- Remove the slipcover and put it in the sink, cleaning it on a gentle cycle with cold water.
- If your pillow has plastic parts, do not put it in the washer or dryer. Soak it in a sink full of warm water and mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly. Allow to air dry fully before using it.
Do not leave without attention these boppy lounger washing instructions! If you are not going to use it again right away, make sure it is completely dry before storing. If there's any water left inside the foam beads, you run the risk of getting mildew and ruining your newborn`s boppy lounger.
What are the common mistakes with boppy lounger wash?
There are many mistakes that can be made while cleaning a boppy lounger for your newborn. The most important ones are:
- Do not soak your pillow in water. This can damage its shape and cause mold growth. Also, it is quite difficult to dry it this way.
- Never use bleach when cleaning your pillow or cover, as this will ruin all-natural materials used in its construction. Bleach weakens fabric which might result in tears and damage to seams during the washing process even if you put a pillowcase inside to protect it from damage.
- Do not wash the boppy lounger in hot water. It can cause deformations due to pressure changes caused by boiling water inside the foam beads.
- Do not leave the pillow without attention. If you are not going to use it again right away, make sure it is completely dry before storing. If there's any water left inside the foam beads, you run the risk of getting mildew and ruining your boppy lounger!
You can gently brush your boppy lounger with the edge of a comb to remove any loose material. For this purpose, you need to choose a proper brush, as it has to be a brush with a handle. You have to use a soft-bristle baby bottle brush. How can you properly clean a boppy lounger with a brush?
The instruction is simple. Gently brush the surface of the Boppy with a soft bristle baby bottle brush with firm pressure from side to side. This will pick up any remaining thread, foam chunks, and even lint balls that a vacuum just can't catch. And your newborn will never get an allergy or other skin problems.
Can you iron a boppy lounger cover?
There are some models in which you can put an iron for a few minutes, but this is not mandatory for every case. In case you still want to do it, the following steps apply:
- Place a cotton pillowcase or towel inside your boppy lounger to protect it from any damage that may occur while ironing.
- Set iron to low/silk setting & turn off the steam function. Iron through one layer of cotton only, moving the iron slowly over the entire surface area of cover for about 10 seconds each section (avoid edges). Turn the pillow around and repeat on the opposite side. Let cool down completely before putting the cover back on the boppy lounger.
How to wash a boppy lounger if it doesn`t have a cover?
In case your boppy lounger doesn't have a cover, please follow the steps below.
- Remove all parts from inside the pump pocket before placing them in the washer or dryer.
- If your pillow has plastic parts, the machine washes it with a damp cloth and mild soap. Rinse thoroughly, and air dry completely before use.
Do not depart without being observed! If you are not going to use it again right away, make sure it is completely dry before putting it away. If any water remains in the foam beads, mildew can develop and your boppy lounger will be ruined. Only brushing 100 percent cotton boppy loungers helps them maintain their shape and be fluffy enough for a newborn.
What cleaning agents can you use?
When cleaning your baby`s staff it is of vital importance to use non-allergen cleaning agents. Avoid ammonia-based cleaners. Use mild, non-allergen soap. Different chemicals can be used in the production of baby things which may lead to skin irritation or allergy-causing allergies in your newborn.
Moreover, some products contain potentially harmful substances that can enter our bloodstream through skin pores and cause serious health problems. Also, never use ammonia-based cleaners or products containing bleach on baby items. This substance can cause irritation and lead to allergies. So, you need to follow the boppy lounger washing instructions closely and use cleaning agents properly.
How often should I wash my boppy lounger for a newborn?
You should clean your Boppy Pillow after every use. In case it is not dirty you can wait for a week, but don't forget to make it dry before storing it. What can happen if you don`t wash a boppy lounger regularly?
If the boppy lounger is not washed on a regular basis, there is a risk of bacteria growth and infection diseases. Also, infants inhale small particles of dust from the pillow that may be mixed with saliva and enter their respiratory tract causing respiratory tract infections. How to clean soiled areas on a boppy lounger? Wipe the soiled areas on your pillow with a clean cloth and mild soap solution. Cleaning with water is not recommended as it does not remove all dirt and can cause bacteria growth.
In case of lack of hygiene any surface, including those intended for infant care, can be contaminated with bacteria or fungi that may cause skin infections. There is also a risk of developing respiratory diseases caused by inhaling particles of dust from the boppy lounger. Moreover, lack of cleaning can lead to fungal germs growth which is particularly dangerous for kids with weakened immune systems.
If you will clean the boppy lounger correctly, your baby will be able to use it for a very long time.
Are there any risks associated with washing a boppy lounger in the washer?
Yes, there are some risks with washing it in a machine. Kept under high pressure and temperatures, water-repellent properties of natural down fibers deteriorate.
Your boppy lounger is machine washable only if the manufacturer recommends that particular model as being machine-washable. If not, never place any part of your pillow or cover into a washing machine. Never use bleach when cleaning your boppy lounger– this will destroy all the natural materials used to make it.
Bleach is also known for weakening fabric which might result in tears and damage to seams during the washing process even if you put a pillowcase inside to protect it from damage. Likewise, do not dry clean a baby pillow because this may damage its inner parts.
Washing a Boppy lounger is very important because you can get mildew if it isn`t completely dry before storing. Machine wash your lounger with a damp cloth and mild soap. Rinse thoroughly, and air dry completely before use.
If machine washing is not an option, spot cleans the soiled areas with a clean cloth and mild soap solution. Never place any part of your pillow or cover into a washing machine. Never use bleach when washing your boppy lounger– this will destroy all the natural materials used to make it.